Wednesday, June 8, 2011

deep sea fishing

For this blog post I thought I would try something a little different. Steve is going to be telling you about our deep sea fishing trip because it was one of the tours that we got to do as a group and because he is maybe a little more passionate about it than I am. Don't get me wrong though, I had a wonderful time out on the water! I also like pictures, so I have added some of our photos to the end of his blurb. Here it goes ..

Last weekend Em, Alison and I decided that we would like to go deep sea fishing on a charted fishing boat. I had been deep sea fishing in the Florida Keys before and I thought it would be a fishing trip that the girls would enjoy as you normally catch plenty of fish on chartered boats in salt water. 
Em, Alison, Steve, and I ended up booking a trip with Reel Screamer Fishing Charters out of North Haven, South Australia. We had one guide on the boat with us and he had all of our live bait ready to go when we arrived in the harbour at seven Saturday morning. The main kind of fish we were going for were called King George Whiting which average between 30-40cm long and are one of Australia’s top eating fish. We headed out of the harbour and tried two different spots where we only managed to catch a few fish between the four of us. I was a little worried when we weren’t catching many fish as I figured it would just be a slow day of fishing. Our guide was getting frustrated as well and decided to take a different approach and head to deeper water than we had previously been fishing. When we got out there all we would have to do is drop out lines to the bottom and there would be a fish on. I would like to say that we all caught an even amount of fish at this spot but I think Em and Alison beat Steve and I by quite a bit. Both of them had a few double headers and Em and Alison caught the two biggest Whiting of the day. After a few hours at this spot the girls were actually getting tired from catching fish which is a very good problem to have!
Overall our day on the water was great. We managed to catch many types of fish including whiting, red mullet, blowfish, boxfish, mackerel and many others. Steve and I had a great time out there even though we were out fished by the girls, but without a doubt, all four of us would go again the next chance we got.

just leaving North Haven

back of our boat, you can see some of our raw bait
Steve and Steve ready to fish!

Alison and I .. can you tell it's early?


Me holding my first King George Whiting

Steve and I competing

some red mullet, squid, and mackerel
squid
what a nice fillet

No comments:

Post a Comment